Introduction to Impressionistic Watercolours - 19 November 2021
Tutor Catherine Beale, a member of the Society of Women Artists, will share techniques so you will understand how to form a cascading wash and how this reacts with paint straight from the tube. You will develop a range of marks, from disruptive watermarks to fine lines. The suggested materials will form a useful starter kit to carry on enjoying painting after the session.
This busy day will explore loose watercolours with fewer brushstrokes, rich colour and added texture. It will start with a no-pressure paint sampler. We will then create an A3 woodland scene from step-by-step demos (source photos supplied).
Catherine’s relaxed teaching style will include an element of personal tutoring and Q&A, as she shares watercolours’ potential with you.
Watercolour board (£2.50) : 2 pieces supplied by the tutor - available as 'pay on the day'. The board will not buckle and paint can be washed off its surface.*
Limited palette of 8 Winsor & Newton tubed colours:
- 7 Cotman (student) colours: Turquoise, Ultramarine, Sap Green, Lemon Yellow, Alizarin Crimson, Burnt Umber, Purple Lake
- Plus Winsor & Newton Professional Raw Sienna
- 3 watercolour brushes: 1 large - one-inch flat e.g. Pro Arte Prolene One Stroke Flat Brush Series 106; 1 medium - 3/8" or 1/2" flat;1 rigger
- Table top easel or a simple A3 board with a 2 inch rest (e.g. tin/case, pad)
- 2B pencil and eraser + Water jar + Kitchen roll
- Generous sized Palette with large wells or white plate/tray
- Suggested: table salt + clingfilm
I have provided three colourful subjects to lift everyone’s spirits. They can be our source photos on the day.